The keto diet has taken the health and wellness world by storm in recent years, and for good reason. This low-carb, high-fat diet has been shown to help with weight loss, improve energy levels, and even support better brain function.
One key aspect of the keto diet is the restriction of carbohydrates, which means that traditional sugary drinks like soda, fruit juice, and sports drinks are off-limits. Instead, those following a keto lifestyle must look for alternative drink options that are low in carbs and high in good fats.
To help navigate the wide array of beverage choices, we’ve put together a list of the 10 best keto drinks, as well as the 10 worst to avoid.
The 10 Best Keto Drinks:
1. Water: The ultimate keto-friendly drink, water is essential for staying hydrated and supporting overall health.
2. Sparkling water: Flavored or unflavored sparkling water is a refreshing and carb-free option for those on the keto diet.
3. Coffee: Black coffee is low in carbs and can provide a steady source of energy.
4. Tea: Both hot and iced tea, without added sugar, are great options for keto followers.
5. Unsweetened almond milk: This low-carb milk alternative can be used in coffee, tea, or smoothies.
6. Bone broth: Rich in nutrients and protein, bone broth is a great way to stay hydrated and support gut health on the keto diet.
7. Coconut water: In moderation, coconut water is a good source of electrolytes and can be a refreshing option for keto followers.
8. Homemade keto-friendly smoothies: Made with ingredients like avocado, spinach, and MCT oil, homemade smoothies can be a satisfying and low-carb option.
9. Keto-friendly protein shakes: Look for low-carb, high-fat protein shakes made with ingredients like collagen and MCT oil.
10. Homemade electrolyte drinks: By mixing water with a pinch of salt, lemon juice, and a natural sweetener like stevia, you can create a keto-friendly electrolyte drink to support hydration.
The 10 Worst Drinks to Avoid on Keto:
1. Soda: Loaded with sugar and empty carbs, regular soda is a no-go on the keto diet.
2. Fruit juice: While natural, fruit juice is high in sugar and best avoided on a keto diet.
3. Sports drinks: Despite their claims to replenish electrolytes, most sports drinks are loaded with sugar and not suitable for the keto diet.
4. Store-bought smoothies: Many pre-made smoothies are high in sugar and carbs, making them a poor choice for keto followers.
5. Flavored milk: Flavored milk products are often high in sugar and should be avoided on the keto diet.
6. Sweetened iced tea: Store-bought iced tea with added sugar is not a good option for keto followers.
7. Energy drinks: Most energy drinks are high in sugar and best avoided on the keto diet.
8. Flavored water: Many flavored water products contain added sugar and are not suitable for the keto diet.
9. Alcohol: While some forms of alcohol can be consumed in moderation on the keto diet, most mixed drinks and beer are high in carbs and best avoided.
10. Sweetened coconut water: While natural coconut water can be a good option, sweetened varieties are often high in sugar and should be avoided on the keto diet.
By choosing from the list of best keto drinks and avoiding the worst, those following a keto lifestyle can stay hydrated and support their nutritional needs while sticking to their low-carb, high-fat goals. As always, it’s important to consult with a healthcare professional before making any major changes to your diet.